Summer has finally arrived! Between record snow storms, flooding, and hail, I thought it would never get here. Thankfully, vacation season is upon us but that means burglaries will inherently increase. Each year, there are more than 2 million burglaries, over 65 percent of which are residential break-ins, with the majority occurring in the peak vacation months of July and August. Furthermore, 9 out of 10 home break-ins could be prevented if homeowners would take simple steps to burglarproof their homes.
Here are some tips that can help you protect your home from burglary while you’re away this summer:
- Stop delivery of your mail and newspapers, or have a friend or neighbor pick them up for you.
- Keep bushes and shrubs well-trimmed and keep the outside of your home well-lit. Would-be thieves prefer not to be seen.
- Use timers on lights, televisions and radios to make it appear as if someone is home.
- Have your lawn maintained if you will be gone for more than a few days.
- Leave the air conditioner on; a silent compressor on a hot day is a good indication you aren’t home.
- Check with your local law enforcement agency. Many of them now offer a service where you can sign up to have an officer drive by your home and check on it during a regular shift…and it’s usually free!
Fire and water damage can also threaten your home while you’re enjoying your time away so be sure to take a few preventative measure to help protect your home from these perils:
- Unplug everything but the refrigerator, freezer, and the lights and radios you have set on timers.
- If possible, turn off the water to your sinks, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine, and hot water heater.
More than half of the U.S. population is planning a summer vacation away from home this year. If you’re one of them, be sure to follow these tips and you’ll be sure to have an enjoyable – and safe – summer holiday. What other things do you do around the house to protect it while you’re gone? Please share your ideas in the comments below!
Pingback: Tips to Burglarproof Your Home | Roland Dumont Agency, Inc.