The teen years bring many milestone moments. Perhaps none is more simultaneously exciting and nerve-wracking for parents than the day your teen becomes a driver. Even the most responsible teen drivers face many potential dangers ranging from passenger distractions to the temptation to text, unfavorable road conditions to hazards posed by other drivers behind the wheel. And there’s no better time to start thinking and talking about it than heading into the summer season.
100 Deadliest Days
This time of year marks a joyous season with the end of the school year, graduation parties, and summer vacation travel. Behind the scenes, however, a very real danger lurks. Memorial Day weekend marked the unofficial start of summer but also represents a dangerous time of year for young drivers. Due to a sharp increase in automobile fatalities involving teen drivers between Memorial Day and Labor Day, this time of year is referred to as the “100 Deadliest Days.”
Each year, an average of 2,063 teen drivers are involved in fatal crashes, and 31% of those fatalities occur during the 100 Deadliest Days. This equates to more than seven automobile accident-related teen deaths per day throughout the summer.
Help your teen stay safe with the teenSMART Teen Driving Course
While little can be done about the driving habits of others, becoming an aware and defensive driver can greatly reduce the risk of auto accidents, ensuring your teen safely gets where they are going. Central is proud to offer the teenSMART Driver Safety Program from ADEPT Driver, designed to make new drivers more aware of how their choices, behaviors, and reactions impact safety on the road.
teenSMART is an online program designed specifically for teen drivers. The software includes driving simulations, videos, exercises, and activities for teens and their parents to complete together. Studies show that completing the teenSMART program reduces the chances of being in a crash by up to 30%. In addition to safety benefits, Central is proud to offer a teen driver discount on your policy once your young driver has completed the program.
Get insights like this right in your inbox. Subscribe to the Central Blog below.
teenSMART Program Fast Facts
- teenSMART is available to teen drivers between the ages of 16 and 20.
- It takes approximately eight hours to complete the program—four hours of computer time plus parent-teen and in-car exercises. Training is divided into 20-minute modules so teens can complete the program at their own pace.
- Central offers a 5% premium discount for teens who enroll in the program and an additional discount up to 20%* for teen drivers certified as having completed the program. (*Discount varies in North Carolina)
- ADEPT is discounting the program for Central policyholders in June to $59.95—a $60 savings off the software’s list price of $119.95.
- This limited-time pricing is available beginning June 1 on the enrollment site or by calling 877.233.7879.
Having your loved ones complete a teen driving course like teenSMART will make them more aware and informed while driving and provide you greater peace of mind as a parent. We’re proud to partner with parents to ensure the safety of the young drivers who matter most to them. Working together, we can make this the best—and safest—summer ever.