As a gamer myself, it’s easy to say video games are a fun way to escape from the real world. Video games are just about everywhere and nearly anyone can find something they like. It’s easy to spend hours playing a video game; trust me, you aren’t the only one that has played Candy Crush or Angry Birds longer then you should have. But does this mean that video games can only have a negative effect on an individual?
There have been several studies on how gaming can affect people in the workplace. Video games can actually have a positive influence on one’s productivity, improving on a variety of skills such as:
- Quick thinking and decision-making.
- Problem solving skills.
- Reading and math skills.
However, video games can also negatively influence a person’s health and well-being:
- Playing video games too long can affect one’s mind and can cause some health issues.
- Video games can create aggressive thoughts and allow a person to anger easily, which in turn could make workplace frustrations more difficult to handle.
- Video games can become addictive and difficult to get away from.
- Playing video games can also affect a person’s communication skills, making them socially isolated.
As you see, video games have the potential to both increase or decrease a person’s productivity. Does all this mean that we shouldn’t play video games because there’s a chance of a negative outcome? No. While video games can have negative effects when played for too long, for too many days, they can also be a great way to improve skills that can be used in the work place and in everyday life.
When gaming, just relax and have fun; try to be conscious of the time spent playing and remember to take breaks. Are there any other positive or negative effects you’ve experienced as a result of playing video games? I’d like to hear about them in the comments below!
I agree with everything you said. My brother was addicted to video games due to which ha had some serious mental issues.
Pingback: ONLINE GAMING! And How It Contributes To Productivity – Rique Official