Sometimes the best way to share information with your child is for them to hear it from another child! Check out this video by 10-year-old Drayden for some important school bus safety tips!
School bus safety tips highlighted in this video include:
- Get to the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- When the bus approaches, stand at least three giant steps (6 feet) away from the curb and line up away from the street.
- Wait until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says that it’s okay before stepping onto the bus.
- If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk on the sidewalk or along the side of the road to a point at least five giant steps (10 feet) ahead of the bus before you cross. Be sure that the bus driver can see you, and you can see the bus driver.
- Use the handrails to avoid falls. When exiting the bus, be careful that clothing with drawstrings and book bags with straps don’t get caught in the handrails or doors.
- Never walk behind the bus.
- Walk at least three giant steps away from the side of the bus.
- If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver. Never try to pick it up because the driver may not be able to see you.
Visit the Car, Road & Bus Safety page at elementarysafety.com with your children for fun activities to teach them more about school bus safety.
Copyright © 2019 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All rights reserved.