Summer has come and gone once again. Parents are getting excited, but kids are dreading their final days or weeks before school starts again. As we gear up for the school year, it’s important to educate ourselves on school bus safety. Here are some tips to keep in mind for this school year:
- Slow down. Give yourself plenty of time to get to and from your destination. Being in a hurry can be a distraction.
- Be prepared to stop. The law states a driver must stop for a school bus regardless of what side of the road they are on. Always remember to keep a safe distance due to frequent and sudden stops. Failure to stop puts children in danger, and the driver can be fined and penalized.
- Be alert. Always look for children on the sidewalks, streets, or bus stops. Whether you are backing out of your driveway, driving on a country road, or through a school zone – always look for children.
- Learn school bus laws. Each state is different. Take the time to get familiar with your state’s laws regarding school buses.
- Have insurance. Be prepared. You can take all the necessary measures to prevent an accident, but they still happen. Make sure your insurance will provide coverage in case of an accident.
Have questions regarding your policy? Contact your local independent agent to make sure you are prepared for this school year and years to come.
Check out this video and share it with other drivers:
To read more, please see this previous blog article titled: School Safety Saves Lives
Copyright © 2019 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All rights reserved.