Memorial Day is a day dedicated to the remembrance of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Many Americans celebrate with cookouts, parties, and time at the lake or beach with family and friends. Regardless of how you celebrate, it’s likely your weekend will involve some time on the road, so here are a few tips to keep in mind to travel safely.
- Arrange for a Designated Driver (DD). If you are wanting to enjoy some drinks over the holiday weekend, make sure you have a designated driver. Drunk driving puts you and anyone you encounter on the road at risk. Plan ahead if you plan on imbibing.
- Have a backup for your DD. You never know what will happen with your DD. Maybe they decide to drink as well, or they have other plans and cannot come pick you up, so it never hurts to have a backup. Let your backup know that you have a DD, but in case they were to fall through your backup may get a call.
- Don’t text and drive. We all know how dangerous it is to text while you drive, so don’t do it!
- Be a defensive driver. Be aware of your surroundings while driving because you never know if the person coming towards you has had too much to drink and could veer into your lane, or if the guy walking down the street is going to walk out in front of you. Be on the lookout and be prepared.
- Have insurance! You do not want to be involved in an accident without insurance. Contact your independent agent to make sure you will be covered for this upcoming holiday.
Have a safe and fun Memorial Day!