Listed below are ten facts… or are they? Can you separate the facts from the fiction?
The answers are listed below. No cheating!
- No insurance company will underwrite Jackie Chan’s productions, so he has to pay the medical bills for his stuntmen out of pocket.
- Older drivers tend to have more accidents than younger drivers due to slow reaction times.
- George Washington created the first American insurance company, called the Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss of Fire.
- There is a type of insurance called ransom insurance, which reimburses victims of kidnappings.
- There was a woman in Philadelphia that made over $500,000 by making almost 50 false slip and fall claims.
- Typically, red cars tend to have higher insurance rates than black or silver cars because they tend to be pulled over by the police more often.
- The first African-American owned insurance company in the US was started in Philadelphia in 1810.
- The word “underwriter” originates from the Old English word “underwritiman” which means lacking in imagination.
- There is a holiday called National Insurance Awareness Day.
- Before becoming famous, the iconic singer Prince was an insurance agent.
1. According to Guinness World Records, Jackie personally trains and pays for his crew’s injuries. 2. False. Statistically, drivers over the age of 55 have fewer accidents than those under 25. 3. False. It was Ben Franklin who then went on to found many other types of insurance, earning the moniker the “Father of American Insurance.” 4. True! For more crazy types of insurance, check out this post. 5. True. Seventy-two-year-old Isabel Parker was caught and faced almost three years in prison. 6. False. While the make and model of a vehicle can affect the rate, the color has no impact on insurance premiums. 7. True. It was called the African Insurance Company. 8. False. I completely made that one up! 9. True! It’s celebrated today, June 28. 10. False. I made this one up too… but can you imagine?
Were you able to spot the truth? Comment your score below!
Partin, Elliot. “The African Insurance Company.”
“Scams: Fake Slip & Fall Suits Cost Billions.” August 27, 2013.
Tessler, John. “Auto Insurance Myths Busted.” September 20, 2017.
Copyright © 2018 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All rights reserved.