There is nothing I hate more than the thought of tiny insects feasting on my blood while I sleep; talk about a nightmare! Unfortunately, that is just what a small colony of bed bugs loves to do and with their tiny size (5-7 mm in length), they can be hard to detect. If you are a frequent traveler, whether for work or fun, hotels can be a common place where bed bugs tend to be found.
One of the first things to do when arriving in your hotel room is to look for any signs of bed bugs on the bed or furniture. These pesky creatures can be found in tiny cracks in the furniture, textiles, mattresses, bed springs, and many other unsanitary places. If you do locate some in your room or any place that is not your home, it is essential that you do not bring any of these bugs back with you. The key to avoiding bed bugs is to be watchful and take the necessary preventive measures no matter where you are at. Once an infestation of bed bugs has occurred, it can be very difficult to remove and may require professional assistance.
Here are a few key considerations to help prevent an infestation of bed bugs and to help stop the spread of bugs in an already infested area.
- Avoid infested areas.
- Examine hotel beds and mattresses for signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Seal your mattress in a bed bug prevention case.
- Do not bring infested items into one’s home.
- Carefully inspect clothing and baggage after traveling.
- Inspect secondhand beds, bedding, and furniture.
- Look for caulk cracks and crevices in the building exterior.
- Repair or screen openings to exclude birds, bats, and rodents.
- Do not place clothing or luggage on the floor.
- Hang clothing in the closet farthest from the bed.
- Place luggage on the folding rack found in most hotels.
- Place luggage in the dry cleaning bag provided by the hotel.
Taking these preventative measures might be the difference between a peaceful night’s sleep or a restless night losing blood. Knowing that my room is free and clear of bed bugs, regardless of where I might be, helps me to sleep easier at night.