Whether at work or at home, do you have your own workspace with a desk? Sometimes it can be a little challenging to keep your workspace clean and organized due to all the distractions in everyday life. This could create problems because when anyone tries working in an unclean and cluttered workspace, they could end up being stressed or even worse… UNPRODUCTIVE! Here are some tips and tricks on keeping your workspace clean.
- Use the trash can or recycle. If you don’t have a trash can or recycle bin in reach, I recommend getting one. Always throw away trash as soon as you as can and recycle any unneeded paper. When in doubt, get it out! Never keep papers or other trash with the idea of coming back to it later. Usually, you won’t come back to it and it will clutter up your workspace.
- Keep things organized. This might be common sense but always try to keep your papers, pencils, and other office supplies organized. Make sure everything has a home so you know where everything goes. This can help reduce clutter around your workspace and desk.
- Clean your keyboard and monitors. Make sure you don’t let your monitor and keyboard become dusty and dirty from every day use. Try using an Air Duster to remove the dust from keyboard and use a microfiber cloth to clean the dust off your monitors. Remember to use an antibacterial wipe once in a while on the most used items in your workspace.
- Stop stockpiling. Do you really need that many pens on your desk? Try to reduce the number of supplies you keep on your desktop. Only keep what you need in reach. Also, only keep papers that are relevant to what you have been working on in the last 3-4 weeks. Of course, keep the important papers but recycle whatever is chicken scratch or unneeded paper.
- Stop eating at your desk. It would be really unprofessional if your boss saw a bunch of empty chip bags scattered all around your workspace. Eating at your desk might seem more productive but everyone needs a break every once in a while. I bet the office will survive if you got away from your workspace for just a few minutes. If you do end up eating in your workplace, make sure you clean up after yourself. Food could make your workplace very dirty and be a distraction for you.
- Clean at the end of the day. Before you leave for the day, make sure you clean your workspace. Cleaning at the end of the day is great because it cleans up the clutter and troubles that happened that day and sets up a clean start for tomorrows challenges!
Hopefully, these tips will help you maintain a clean and organized workspace. Don’t let all the clutter ruin your productivity! Share any additional cleaning tips below!